Upside-Down Cornbread Cake
Recipe courtesy Sunny Anderson
Inactive Prep Time:
6 to 8 servings
For the cornbread:
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 stick butter, melted
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
For the sauce:
* 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
* 1/2 stick butter
* 1 (15.5 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
* 1 (12-ounce) can maraschino cherries, drained
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/4 cup brandy
* Whipped cream, for serving
* Special equipment: 1 (9-inch) cast iron skillet
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, heavy cream, eggs, butter, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
In the cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add sugar and butter and let melt. When melted, remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Be sure to place maraschino cherries evenly throughout. Pour in batter and smooth top with a spatula. Bake 25 minutes, until cornbread is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
To serve: place a platter over skillet and invert cake. It should slide out easily. Slice into wedges and serve warm with whipped cream.
Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Tue Apr 07 2009
© 2009 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved
Advertisement will not be printed