Cream Cheese Kringle
To bake only one kringle, adjust the oven rack to the middle position. If the dough appears shaggy and dry after adding the sour cream in step 2, add up to 2 tablespoons ice water until the dough is smooth. If the capacity of your food processor is less than 11 cups, pulse the butter and shortening into the dry mixture in two batches at the beginning of step 2.
Makes 2 kringles, each serving 8
8 ounces cream cheese , softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 envelope (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant or rapid-rise yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening , chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups sour cream
1 large egg , lightly beaten
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons whole or low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. MAKE FILLING Combine softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, and lemon zest in bowl. Set aside.
2. MIX DOUGH Add flour, sugar, yeast, salt, butter, and shortening to empty food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to bowl and stir in sour cream until dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and divide in half. Pat each half into 7- by 3-inch rectangle and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes, then freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
3. ROLL DOUGH Following photos, roll one dough half into 28- by 5-inch rectangle, cover bottom half of strip with half of cream cheese mixture, fold dough over filling, and pinch seams closed. Shape into oval, tuck one end inside of other, and pinch to seal. Transfer to parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 or up to 12 hours. Repeat with remaining dough and cream cheese mixture.
4. BAKE KRINGLE Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Discard plastic, brush kringles with egg, and bake until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Transfer kringles to wire rack and cool 30 minutes.
5. MAKE GLAZE Whisk sugar, milk, and vanilla in bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over kringles. Let glaze set 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Kringle can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for 2 days.)