Brown Rice, Tomatoes and Basil
2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All Rights Reserved
Inactive Prep Time:
* 1 cup Texmati brown rice
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
* 1/4 cup Champagne or rice wine vinegar
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 tablespoon good olive oil
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound ripe tomatoes, large-diced
* 1 cup packed basil leaves (1 large bunch), chopped
Bring 2 1/4 cups water to a boil and add the rice and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Return to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Transfer the rice to a bowl.
Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, remaining teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Pour over the rice. Add the tomatoes and basil. Mix well and check the seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Tue May 18 2010
© 2010 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved
Advertisement will not be printed